Fresh Voices Poetry Competition offers students the opportunity to write and prepare poems suitable for presentation and publication. Since 1993, student poets from all corners of Connecticut have entered this competition and mentoring program. The Fresh Voices Poetry Competition is now open to all New England high school students.
If you are a high school-age poet, take a chance on yourself and submit your work!
- Winners will read at the Sunken Garden Poetry Festival on Wednesday, August 16, 2017.
- Winning poems will be printed in a chapbook published by Antrim House Press.
- Winning poets will have their work featured in Hill-Stead’s online poetry journal, Theodate.
- March 17 Entry deadline
- March 31 Finalists announced via email and museum website.
- April 28 Finalists read before a panel of judges and winners are announced.
- August 14 Performance workshop for the winners in preparation for readings.
- August 16 Winners read poems at the Sunken Garden Poetry Festival.
How to Enter
- Follow the 2017 Fresh Voices Submission Guidelines (PDF).
- Complete the Fresh Voices Entry Form (PDF).
- Completed entry must be postmarked or emailed by March 17, 2017.
Congratulations to our 2016 Fresh Voices Poetry Competition Winners
- Owen Elphick, E.O. Smith High School
- Chloe Ezzo, Kingswood Oxford
- Leah Nashel, Westover School
- Jossary Padilla, Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Abbey Rose Popolizio, Haddam-Killingworth High School
2016 Fresh Voices Finalists:
- Jenna Baig
- Kaitlyn Carr
- Olivia Coleman
- Rachel Currie
- Sarah Ferrigno
- Selena Muniz
- Winona Scheff
- Owen Elphick
- Chloe Ezzo
- Rachel Horowitz-Benoit
- Jacob Lowell
- Leah Nashel
- Jossary Padilla
- Abbey Rose Popolizio
- Curtis Scheffel
- Cole Adams, Kingswood-Oxford
- Avery Christensen, Rockville High School
- Khadija Hussain, Wilber Cross High School
- Joscelyn Norris, Westover
- Kaleigh Perkins, Rockville High School
- Shana Blatt, ACES Education Center for the Arts (New Haven)
- Colleen Feeney, Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Sophia O’Brien-Udry, ACES Education Center for the Arts (New Haven)
- Taite Puhala, Westminster School (Simsbury)
- Wenell St. Hill, Great Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Julia Alexander
- Horlando De los Santos
- Trey Geisman
- Hayley Kolding
- Essence McDonald
- Alexandra Asal
- Sophie Dillon
- Shameil Dias
- Amanda Goode
- Shannon Haaland
- Ellie Woznica