It’s the ultimate trip across Europe!
For the intensely curious, armchair adventurers, students, architecture buffs, and historians, we are delighted to offer Hill-Stead Museum’s first virtual tour. So, come along with us on a thrilling trip with our founder Theodate Pope Riddle during her Grand Tour (1888–1889), a ten-month educational sojourn across Europe in search of arts and culture via her diary entries.
Each week we will reveal excerpts from her journal alongside enriching online cultural programming.
Start your journey by following the links below:
- Introduction – The Grand Tour
- Episode 1 – Paris 1888
- Episode 2 – Paris 1888
- Episode 3 – Bourdeaux, Bayonne, Biarritz 1888
- Episode 4 – El Escorial and Toledo, Spain, 1888
- Episode 5 – Madrid, Spain, 1888
- Episode 6 – Seville, Spain, 1888
- Episode 7 – Seville, Spain, 1888
- Answer Keys
Drawings by Lavell Thompson