On the first Sunday of every month, families are invited to explore Hill-Stead
Take part in these First Sundays for Families activities!
- Museum Educators lead art projects in the Education Stations at 1 pm.
- Free self-serve crafts for all ages.
- Explorer Backpacks will also be available during regular museum hours from April through October.
- Self-guided tours run from 1 to 4 pm. Browse the collection at your own pace and engage in the ever-popular scavenger hunt challenge.
- Enjoy beautiful melodies on the Steinway piano as you tour the house between 1 and 4 pm.
- Romp in Hill-Stead’s own natural playground of hiking trails, gardens and walking paths.
- Purchase a treasure in our Museum Shop, stocked with art supplies, toys, children’s books and much more.
At 1 pm join us for Monarchs and Milkweed—a special program in the Pollinator Garden
Did you know that there is a new garden at Hill-Stead? Master Gardeners have been hard at work creating a colorful new pollinator garden in the stone foundation of a historic greenhouse.
- Join us to explore the beautiful native plants growing there, including three species of milkweed. Learn about the beautiful monarch butterfly, their life cycle and how they rely on milkweed plants to survive.
- Also new this year on the grounds is a Monarch Way Station, the beginnings of a project to restore much-needed habitat for monarchs. With a donation from the Monarch Watch organization, three types of milkweed have been planted near the sheep meadow. They will grow to provide much-needed habitat for the monarch butterfly and a place for them to lay their eggs.
- Kids can color a butterfly.
- In addition to coloring a butterfly, families can stop by Hill-Stead’s Education Station to create an origami monarch butterfly. Then they can give their butterfly a make-believe snack as they decorate a poster of a milkweed flower, the monarch’s favorite food!
Free with Museum admission or membership.
Not a member? Join Today!.
For a list of upcoming dates, see First Sundays for Families.