“Hill-Stead is a gem. I will definitely recommend it to my friends, and hope to return. It was a bonus for an all-girls group that a female architect had designed the house, and designed the Avon Old Farms School, with which they are familiar.”
– High School World Language Teacher, November 2009
Arranging a field trip to Hill-Stead is easy!
- For a description of the themed student tours we offer, please see School, Home School and Youth Group Tours.
- We will work with you to choose or design an appropriate experience.
- Advise us of the date and time preferred, with alternate dates, and the number of students and adult chaperones in your group.
- School tours should be arranged at least two weeks in advance—much earlier if you are hoping to schedule during our busiest school tour months of May and June!
- College Level: $11.00 per student
- K-12: $8.00 per student
- Pre-K: $5.00 per student
- Tour Add-Ons: $6.00 additional fee per student
- Chaperones for Pre-K through High School: 1 free per 10-12 students, each additional $8.00
- Outreach Programs, grades 3-12: $150 for 1 -2 hours—for class-size groups only
- Generous grant funding from the SBM Charitable Foundation provides FREE field trips and outreach for schools (k-12) in East Hartford, Manchester, and Rockville/Vernon (subject to availability).
- Other scholarships and discounts may be available. We work with every teacher to determine the best program and corresponding value for each school group. Teachers and students are a priority at Hill-Stead—let us support you and your curriculum.
School Tour Survey
We value your opinion! After your visit, please take the time to complete our online Post-Tour Survey. Your feedback is important.
You will receive written confirmation of your reservation by email. The date, time, and content of your field trip are not finalized until you receive confirmation.
A maximum of 30 students may tour the house at one time; however, groups may rotate through the house and the museum grounds and/or the “Education Station” for scheduled activities (prior arrangements must be made with the museum). We can accommodate multiple busloads, provided we know your numbers in advance. Please be prepared to divide your group into smaller groups of 10-12 students prior to the start of the museum tour.
One adult chaperone is required for every 10-12 students. Chaperones must remain with the group at all times and assist museum guides with logistics of moving students through the historic house.
Plan to arrive at our Visitor Center 10 minutes before your scheduled tour. The group leader can enter the Museum Shop to let museum staff know of your group’s arrival and to remit payment. Payment may be made by cash, check, or credit card. You will then be led by a staff member to the museum entrance and/or other scheduled activity.
Your school group is welcome to stay for a picnic lunch on our grounds. In the event of inclement weather, we are able to offer covered spaces for groups as well (based on availability). Both outdoor and indoor lunch accommodations must be scheduled prior to your group’s visit.
Extend Your Stay
Hill-Stead is well-suited for extended visits. Groups may schedule additional time in galleries for sketching and writing activities at no extra charge. Pencils only in the museum please. Stools, clip boards and pencils may be provided upon request in advance (limited number available). Groups may also enjoy the Sunken Garden, walk our trails, and each their lunches. See our Tour Add-On Options for museum-led programs—a wonderful supplement to our themed tours.
Since our museum shop is small, we encourage teachers to have students to visit in small groups. We have a wide variety of items available for purchase. For more information please contact Cameron Paynter, Visitor & Volunteer Services Manager, at 860-677-4787. ext. 112 or email@example.com.
If you will be arriving by bus, please be sure to give the driver a copy of the directions and map. Buses may not use the main entrance to the museum; they must use a separate entrance located on Rt. 4. If you will be arriving by passenger van or car, please use the main entrance located on Mountain Road.
We look forward to seeing you and your students at Hill-Stead Museum!
“Dear Hill-Stead Staff, Thank you for having us as your guest. You told us so much info. It’s probably cool to work there. Being around great history all day long must be kind of exciting. My favorite room was the Mulberry Suite. I liked how the colors were warm. My favorite sculpture was the lion stepping on the snake and my favorite painting was the boats. The only colors were blue, white, yellow, and brown.”
– Fifth Grade Student, June 2010