Hill-Stead has so much to offer!
Hill-Stead Museum offers a rich variety of educational activities and hands-on learning opportunities to inspire visitors of all ages to engage with art and history as they explore the collections, architecture and grounds of this unique historic house.
- Enjoy the Arts
- Explore Nature
- Online resources
- Video Offerings
- Virtual field trips
- In-person field trips
Enjoy the Arts
- Take a guided tour of our 1901 Historic House
- For a unique opportunity to intimately experience the Museums collections, Hill-Stead offers exclusive private tours on select Saturdays
- Explore the house at your own pace on and self-guided tours on the first Sunday of the month
- For students of all ages, a virtual or in-person field trip to Hill-Stead can make art and history come alive
Our gardens and grounds are open from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm for all to enjoy.
- Experience the unexpected delights of Hill-Stead’s outer grounds on a guided estate walks
- Let your young artists explore Hill-Stead at Adventures on the Hill an after-school and vacation program for kids
- Grab our Trail Map and wander through meadows, forests, pond habitats, and our historic farm
- Visit the new Pollinator Garden—an innovative space designed to provide shelter and food for wildlife while supporting pollinators
- Search the Sunken Garden with our Flower Scavenger Hunt in the Sunken Garden.
- Take an armchair journey with our founder, Theodate Pope Riddle during her European Grand Tour
- Get creative with our custom-designed coloring pages
- Learn about the Russian Icon in Hill-Stead’s collection from Guide and Educator Martha O’Leary
- Discover new perspectives with our online photography lesson and see the past winners of our photo contests: What Matters Most, Budding Photographers
- Enjoy our past exhibition Through the Tulle, with an activity workbook, a digital storybook, and a virtual tour
- Teachers and educators can review our lesson plans and educator resources
Learn about the Elements of Art in this video series with education specialist, Rachel Cutler.
Learn more about Hill-Stead’s collection through these short videos, researched and presented by our Museum Guides.
Virtual Field Trips
Hill-Stead offers brand-new virtual programs for all students’ levels—kindergarten through college, both pre-recorded slides and live via each school’s preferred platform.
- Bring your students to Hill-Stead via Zoom or Google Classroom. Schedule a virtual school tour
- Private Zoom workshops are available for your class or group by appointment. Contact the Education Department to schedule (email@example.com).