A virtual or in-person field trip to Hill-Stead Museum can make lessons on art, history, language arts, women’s history, agriculture and farming come alive!
BOOK A VIRTUAL OR IN-PERSON SCHOOL TOUR
Set on 152 hilltop acres, this 1901 country estate surrounds students with an authentic and “real-world” interdisciplinary experience. Impressionist Art, Pre-Columbian pottery, Asian antiques, and period furnishings— indoors and out, Hill-Stead Museum offers an unforgettable panorama of life in the context of nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century America.
Hill-Stead Programs for Educators
- For a list of virtual or in-person tours offered, see Field Trips.
- For scheduling and pricing, see Scheduling, Pricing & Logistics for Educators.
- Hill-Stead holds an annual poetry competition for Connecticut high school students. For more information, see Fresh Voices Poetry Competition
- Hill-Stead also offers teacher workshops and professional development opportunities for educators.
[Our] Professional Development day was well organized, informative and motivating…Teachers were given information, lesson plan ideas and tours of the museum. It was an excellent way to begin the year. We have visited other museums for our professional development days, but the HillStead was definitely one of the best…It addressed the concerns specific to the Visual Arts teachers, provided ways to integrate othere subjects and gave teachers time to do their own hands-on activity.
– Pasqua L. Guzzi, Manchester Public Schools
“Excellent! I’ve been here many times and I always learn so much and new information, as well. Everyone was friendly, kind and welcoming and asked wonderful questions that engaged the students.”
– Suzanne Kent, East Hartford High School
Helpful Links for Educators
- CT State Department of Education: Common Core State Standards
- CT State Department of Education: Visual Arts: CSDE Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Publications
- Hill-Stead Museum is proud to support Hartford Performs, the arts education collaborative network serving Hartford Public Schools system. Please see the Hartford Performs website for more information. Hartford Performs mission is “to ensure that all Hartford Public School students have access to quality arts education delivered by in-school teaching staff in partnership with the City’s vibrant arts community.”
- Visual Thinking Strategies
- Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History
- Musée d’Orsay
“The tour and the activity were both fantastic!”
– Vicky Norlund, Rockville High School