Hill-Stead is dedicated to maintaining and preserving the unique beauty of the gardens and grounds so that they can be enjoyed by the thousands of visitors we welcome each year. Please help Hill-Stead maintain its site by following our Photography and Filming policy.
Please note: No professional photography is allowed on site without prior permission. Book a Professional Photography Session
- Informal pictures and videos are allowed throughout The Hill-Stead Museum’s gardens and grounds.
- No photography is permitted inside the House and its Period Rooms.
- Prom photography is not allowed on our grounds, without written permission secured in advance. A fee will be charged depending on the size of the group and time of day.
- Additional photographic equipment such as lights, reflectors, props, tripods, costumes, models is prohibited, except under commercial contract.
- Photography clubs, classes, or workshops must make a reservation at least 7 days in advance. Location fees and restrictions apply. To make a reservation, please contact the Education Department (860-677-4787 ext. 136 or firstname.lastname@example.org). Please visit the Learning Page for a photo lesson and other online resources.
- Personal portrait, engagement, wedding, and family photography sessions may be scheduled by appointment. Location fees and restrictions apply. Book a Session
- Commercial filming and photography are permitted by appointment only.
- Location fees, permits, and insurance are required.
- Student filming projects are permitted; however, commercial filming fees, permits, insurance requirements, and certain restrictions apply.
- Drones are not permitted without prior permission.