Daily House Tours
Visits to the house are by guided tour only
- Tours offered Thursday through Sunday 10 am to 4 pm
- Hill-Stead Guides lead tours on the hour—the last tour begins 3 pm
- Tours offered on a first-come, first-serve basis; purchase tickets on arrival; no more than 16 people per tour
- Hill-Stead also offers Exclusive Private Tours on select Saturdays
- Hill-Stead’s gorgeous grounds and garden open free to the public daily from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm and leashed dogs are welcome
- Hill-Stead now offers both in-person and online field trips BOOK NOW
- Please review Hill-Stead’s extensive safety measures to keep its visitors safe via the reopening plan
To keep our museum accessible to all, Hill-Stead participates in the Blue Star Museums, Museums for All, AAA and Connecticut Art Trail programs.
Highlights of Hill-Stead
One-hour guided tour of the museum. Offered Thursday through Sunday on the hour between 10 am and 4 pm with the last tour at 3 pm. No advanced purchase required.
Special Admission Programs
As a Blue Star Museum, Hill-Stead offers active-duty military families FREE admission from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Blue Star Museums is a collaboration among the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, the Department of Defense and museums across America.
Hill-Stead is a part of the Museums for All program and offers FREE admission for up to four people to with the presentation of a SNAP Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. Museums for All is a cooperative initiative between the Association of Children’s Museums and Institute of Museum and Library Services to offer a signature access program that encourages families of all backgrounds to visit museums regularly and build lifelong museum habits.
Hill-Stead is a member of the Connecticut Art Trail. Discover Connecticut’s artistic treasures with the Connecticut Art Trail Art Passport. The $25 Art Passport includes one admission to each of the 20 member museums per year. Explore diverse, quality collections rich in history and heritage, including European masterpieces, American Impressionism, ancient art and contemporary culture.
Hill-Stead welcomes groups of 10 or more people for private guided group tours. Group Tours require advance reservation and a $50 non-refundable deposit.
Highlights of Hill-Stead (10 or more people)
1-hour guided tour of the museum.
One-and-a-half to two-hour private group tour of the house, gardens and grounds. Great for garden and architecture enthusiasts! Please wear comfortable shoes.
Group Tour Reservations
- Please register here or contact the Education Department (860.677.4787 ext.136 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Group tours are private tours led by Hill-Stead Museum Guides
- Please reserve at least two weeks in advance
- Group tours require a $50 non-refundable deposit.
- In the event of closure due to inclement weather, deposits may be applied to a future date.
- For student and youth group tours, please see School Tours.
Other discounts do not apply to group tours, i.e., AAA discount, library passes or coupons.
Allow ample time. General museum tours are one hour. We suggest giving your group at least two hours at Hill-Stead, so that in addition to the guided tour, individuals may see the 12-minute orientation video, explore the grounds and gardens and visit the museum shop and restrooms.
The first floor of the historic house is wheelchair accessible. The Sunken Garden, restrooms, and Makeshift Theater are all wheelchair accessible. Designated parking is available.
Free on-site bus and car parking, reserved handicapped spaces, museum shop, and restrooms.
Buses may not use the main entrance on Mountain Road to enter the museum. Buses must use the bus entrance located on Rt. 4. If you will be arriving by passenger van or car, please use the main entrance located on Mountain Road.
The safety of staff and visitors is our highest priority.
To ensure a safe, inspiring experience for all, we’ve adopted new health and safety protocols. You’ll find everything you need to know about your next visit below.
Social distancing best practices are in place. All persons entering the building will be required to wear a face mask covering at all times.
- Always wear a facemask and make sure it fits over your nose and mouth
- Practice safe social distancing. Please keep six feet between yourself and others (outside your party)
- Please wash/sanitize your hands at our sanitizing stations
- A limited number of visitors will be permitted at one time
- A one-way flow of traffic will be required in the House
- Contactless payment is available and encouraged
- Please let us know if you or another member of your party have traveled outside of Connecticut in the past 14 days or experiencing fever, chills, cough, or any other symptoms
- Please review our reopening plan