Hill-Stead has so much to offer!
Hill-Stead welcomes families and children of all ages to explore and learn about art, architecture, agriculture, and history. Self-guided educational experiences bring Hill-Stead to life on our wooded trails, sheep farm, pollinator garden, and the famous Sunken Garden. Families can join our guided tours of the house and see how one young girl’s dream of a family farmhouse has grown into our beautiful museum which showcases family life in the 1900s.
Enjoy the Arts
- Take a guided tour of our 1901 Historic House
- For a unique opportunity to intimately experience the Museums collections, Hill-Stead offers exclusive private tours on select Saturdays
Our gardens and grounds are open from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm for all to enjoy.
- Experience the unexpected delights of Hill-Stead’s outer grounds on a guided estate walks
- Grab our Trail Map and wander through meadows, forests, pond habitats, and our historic farm
- Visit the new Pollinator Garden—an innovative space designed to provide shelter and food for wildlife while supporting pollinators
- Search the Sunken Garden with our Flower Scavenger Hunt in the Sunken Garden.
Hill-Stead from Home
- Take an armchair journey with our founder, Theodate Pope Riddle during her European Grand Tour
- Get creative with our custom-designed coloring pages
- Learn about the Russian Icon in Hill-Stead’s collection from Guide and Educator Martha O’Leary
- Discover new perspectives with our online photography lesson and see the past winners of our photo contests: What Matters Most, Budding Photographers
- Enjoy our past exhibition Through the Tulle, with an activity workbook, a digital storybook, and a virtual tour
Prepare for your Visit
Learn about the Elements of Art in this video series
Learn more about Hill-Stead’s collection through these short videos, researched and presented by our Museum Guides.