Fresh Voices Poetry Competition is an outstanding program that offers students the opportunity to write and perform poems suitable for presentation and publication. Since 1993, student poets from all corners of Connecticut have entered this competition and mentoring program. The Fresh Voices Poetry Competition is now open to all New England high school students.
- Winners will read at the Sunken Garden Poetry Festival on Young Poet’s Day Sunday, August 9, 2020. Winners must be available to participate in this public performance.
- Winning poems will be printed in a chapbook published by Grayson Books and available for purchase in our Museum Shop.
- Free registration for a master class with headlining poet on CT Young Poets Day
- Winners announced in a targeted media campaign and on Hill-Stead’s website
- Winning poets will have their work featured on Hill-Stead’s website in the online poetry journal, Theodate.
Congratulations to our 2019 Winners!
- Sophia Ciraldo – Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Danny Diaz- Villafane – Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Stella Georgian – East Lyme High School
- Autumn Munsell – Granby Memorial High School
- Camden Robertson – Granby Memorial High School
- Ava Varano – Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
March 15 Entry deadline!
April 3 Up to 15 Finalists announced via email and museum website (date TBD)
April 21 Performance workshop for the finalists in preparation for adjudicated readings
April 25, 3pm Finalists will read before a panel of judges and audience at the museum, and up to five winners will be announced April 27th.
August 9 Winners read poems at Young Poets Day with Mahogany L. Browne at the
Sunken Garden Poetry Festival
- Vanecia Fultz – Rockville High School
- Rachel Justice – Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Sarah Lewis – Hall High School
- Ellis McGinley – Arts at the Capitol Magnet School
- Youssef Mezrioui – Rockville High School
- Alex Nordlund – Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Joyce Hida, Rockville High School
- Sophia Durand, Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Rachel Horowitz-Benoit, EO Smith High School
- Verne Mackoff, Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Sophie Spaner, Valley Regional High School
- Owen Elphick, E.O. Smith High School
- Chloe Ezzo, Kingswood Oxford
- Leah Nashel, Westover School
- Jossary Padilla, Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Abbey Rose Popolizio, Haddam-Killingworth High School
- Cole Adams, Kingswood-Oxford
- Avery Christensen, Rockville High School
- Khadija Hussain, Wilber Cross High School
- Joscelyn Norris, Westover
- Kaleigh Perkins, Rockville High School
- Shana Blatt, ACES Education Center for the Arts (New Haven)
- Colleen Feeney, Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Sophia O’Brien-Udry, ACES Education Center for the Arts (New Haven)
- Taite Puhala, Westminster School (Simsbury)
- Wenell St. Hill, Great Hartford Academy of the Arts
- Julia Alexander
- Horlando De los Santos
- Trey Geisman
- Hayley Kolding
- Essence McDonald
- Alexandra Asal
- Sophie Dillon
- Shameil Dias
- Amanda Goode
- Shannon Haaland
- Ellie Woznica